Hiking the Grand Canyon

So September marked my 30th year on this Earth. I really didn't want to celebrate my birthday this year since all celebrations seem meaningless still, but I was pretty glad to be officially in my 30's.  I feel like age has finally started to make me a little bit more confident in myself and I'm grateful to have the luxury to do so. I know that turning 30 can be a big deal and most people make a big deal out of it, but I just didn't want to do that. I wanted to just exist and be grateful and reflect on life up to this point. So, despite protests from friends and family, I packed my backpack and hiked the Grand Canyon. I know that for a lot of people visiting the Grand Canyon, means walking along the rim trail, listening to a Ranger talk or shopping all of the neat stuff in the visitor center (and there is nothing wrong with that because we all have our own path), but for me the Grand Canyon is a spiritual experience. Whether you chose to believe in a diety or not, the Grand Canyon is a special place and there is no doubt about how awe-inspiring it can be. And that is exactly that space I wanted to be in on my 30th.

I chose to hike down South Kaibab to Phanton Ranch and back up Bright Angel. I realize that this is not recommended by the Park Service and I would be inclined to agree. This hike is rigorous and incredibly challenging both physically and mentally. To take on such an endeavor requires some endurance training and forethought. This was my 5th time making this hike, so I knew that I would be ok and being in my line of work, doing quite a bit of hiking,  I knew that I was fit enough to take on the challenge. The hike itself took me 9.5 hours which was the fastest time I've achieved, but I really don't recommend trying to race through it. Take the time to see each sediment layer and pause to see watch the sun rise, stop to talk to your fellow hiker and appreciate all the wildlife that calls the Canyon their home.

This time around, I got to see some funky looking caterpillar and a wild goat as well as some high soaring hawks. I met a woman from the mid-west who was solo hiking rim-to-rim over 5 days. I also got to hike with an older gentleman who made it hopeful that I will be able to continue such endeavors for a long time to come. While, I will likely never see those people again they made an impression and were a welcome human interaction.




In the end, the day was long (I left at 1AM to get to the Canyon before Sunrise and then drove home afterwards) and I agreed to a birthday dinner with my mom and aunt. I realized that my celebration of life wasn't just for me, but for my family as well. They have made significant contributions to the person I am and the person an I constantly evolving to become.

Hiking Tips for the Grand Canyon:
  1. If you've never hiked the Canyon before, I recommend hiking down to the 1.5 mile rest house on the Bright Angel trail first. No matter how good you feel, hike back up and see how the incline impacts you.
  2. Hike down the South Kaibab and up the Bright Angel. the Bright Angel trail has water every 1.5 miles from May 15 to October 15. This will allow you to carry less water. Always bring a water filter just in case though.
  3. I recommend hiking boots because the trail can get a little rugged. I know that a lot of people prefer athletic shoes because they are light and I've even seen people hiking in Chacos, so truly it is a personal preference. Because I tend to be clumsy and bump my feet all the time, boots are the preferred food choice.
  4. Be sure that you are packing at least one electrolyte drink for during the hike. There have been cases of people becoming ill due to over-hydration of just water. Your body is working hard and sweating out a lot of nutrients. Plenty of salty snack would help in this regard as well.
  5. Pack an insulated cool with cold water, electrolyte drinks and snacks for when you reach the top. You may not be hungry to eat a whole lot during your hike but believe me, you will be starving once you actually make it to the top.
  6. Sandals. If you plan to spend more than 15 minutes at the bottom of the canyon, it is totally worth to strap on a pair of sandals to your pack to dip your feet into the river or just air out your feet. This really helps your feet in the long run and makes the second half of the hike a little more bearable. 
So...the Grand Canyon, if at all possible, go beyond the visitor center and see what else the Canyon has to offer. I guarantee that it will be a magical experience. with that being said, if you are not physically able to get down there, then please utilize every ranger talk you can attend, Park employees usually have a tremendous amount to knowledge and insight into the Canyon. 

Find Your Park
MC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safety First!

2018 #goals

2017 Wrap Up