Hiking Reflections

I've done three solo hikes since I've last written about hiking. My funk had not really cleared but I was starting to feel some physical effects of not being outside and active. Unofficially, I believe that I have a severe vitamin D deficiency, which manifests itself pretty severely if I don't go outside or take supplements. So for my first hike, I forwent the sunscreen for about 15 minutes and didn't wear a hat. I went alone, in part because I went during the day when most of my friends are working, but also to be able to just sit there and feel my feelings. There was hardly anyone on the trail and the sun was shinning and for the first time in a little while I didn't completely hate everything. I took a resistance band and did some arm exercises in an effort to tire myself out as much as possible. I was only out for about an hour and a half, but it was enough to remind me that outdoor is where I belong. I love being a couch potato and playing video games until my eyes blur, but I'm only truly happy when I'm sweating and tired outside.

My next hike, was a bit more strenuous but there was definitely more people out. The hike was one that I had done before, but I did try to make a more conscious effort to really slow down and enjoy the hike itself. As I have mentioned before, I used to really be into hiking for the miles and the goal was to get through them as quickly as possible. So much as changed and now I find myself really making an effort to slow down and enjoy the scene. I purposely didn't use my water bladder and instead used my "water silo". This forces me to stop and take the time to get the bottle out of my bag. This may sound like it could lead me to not drinking enough water, but I'm paranoid enough about water consumption on hikes that I find myself stopping often and drinking. I was able to take the time to look around and listen and observe; see things that I usually miss on my march into the wilderness. I realize that tactic isn't feasible for everything, but I do recommend it when possible.

My final hike was into the unknown. I had seen the trail head in passing on my way to Phoenix a couple of times and made plans to go with my mom. However, as I planned my next hike, I figured I would check that one out first before dragging my mom and the dogs with me and I'm really glad that I did. The trail was totally exposed and just went for miles and miles into the high desert country of the Black Canyon Wilderness. To be honest, I really loved it. For whatever reason, hiking in the "barren" desert with the brutal sun constantly testing your endurance and ability is really quite appealing to me. My mom and the dogs not so much, so that one will for sure to scratched of the list of group hikes. I only made it a few miles since I was by myself and the day was starting to get really warm. There were a couple of times that I found a small shade patch and was able to just sit in the dirt and feel my feelings. I also really needed to even out my tan. I currently wear a uniform outdoors for 8+ hours a day (more on that later) and had some pretty gnarly tan lines already. Overall, I would do this hike again, but perhaps have someone drop my off and them pick me up so that I could make it more of a thru hike rather than and in and out.

Trail #4: Constellation Trail
Distance: Varies, The outer loop I believe is 2.74 miles but there are several trails you can use to make it shorter as needed.
Elevation Gain: This trail has a 213ft elevation change depending on which trails you use. You can choose to stay on flatter ground of go further into the dells.
Terrain: This trail is very well maintained. There are sometimes boulders that you have to climb over and scramble up so it's not entirely flat.
Pet Friendly: Yes
Facilities: This trail head has a port-a-pottie at near the information kiosk, but there is no water. There is not a fee to park here.
Description: This trail offers year panoramic views on Mingus mountain and the dells. A great little hike that can be tailors to the individuals needs/wants. Lots of wildlife and it not your average trail, but includes some fun but gentle bouldering.

Trail #5: Granite Mountain
Distance: About 8 miles
Elevation Gain: You are climbing up a mountain. More specifically about 2221ft elevation change.
Terrain: This trail is pretty well maintained, but it's steep  and there are often times when you climbing up rock steps. I recommend boots simply for comfort, so that your feet aren't sore by the end of your trek. There is not a lot of shade offered here so be prepared for that as well.
Pet Friendly: Yes, but always be sure your dog is prepared for such a long hike and the strenuous nature of the hike itself.
Facilities: There is a bathroom at the trailhead but no water, so be sure to bring enough of your own.
Description: The tail starts off at Metate parking lot. You follow the trail past a wilderness information sign, down into a wash and start to head towards the mountain until the reach the information kiosk. There you can sign the trail register, which I always recommend, and continue on. You hike a pretty flat trail for a while before connecting to the actual #261. From there you also have the opportunity to connect to the Little Granite Mountain trail. Once you turn right from that sign post, you really start your ascent onto Granite Mountain. The trail is well mark and its encourage to stay on the trail, the mountain is still recovering from fire damage. The damage is more evident the higher you go. There are plenty of places of stop and rest on the way up. At the top, you have a 360 degree view of Williamson Valley and Prescott. There is a $5 fee for parking, but it's free on Wednesdays. Also, if you have a public lands card you should be good to just hang it from the rearview mirror. I believe the Prescott National Forest also sells local recreation passes.

Trail #6: Black Canyon Trail
Distance: Upwards of 80 miles, I only went about 2.5 in and 2.5 out.
Elevation Gain: Relatively flat with some gentle inclines depending on where you start and finish
Terrain: Rugged terrain but a well maintained trail.
Pet Friendly: Yes, but always be sure your dog is prepared for such a long hike and the strenuous nature of the hike itself.
Facilities: There is a bathroom at the trailhead but no water, so be sure to bring enough of your own.
Description: The portion of the trail that I hiked was just outside the town of Mayer, AZ. It was pretty remote and there was only one other vehicle there. I saw plenty of birds and lizards, I was scared by a group of scared quail at one point. The trail is part of a Bureau of Land Management project and the trail runs parallel to the Prescott National Forest. You also get excellent cell phone reception, for the portion that I hiked on at least.

Comments

  1. I'd still like to take a hike together at some point....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, me too! It's just a bummer right now since I don't have any weekends off really. Maybe for the 4th of July or something? I think that's a weekday and you may have it off?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Safety First!

2018 #goals

2017 Wrap Up