Hike Reflections

My first two hikes of this year (trail details below) have been completed with my mother. Most of the time, I am the type of hiker that is obsessed with metrics, meticulously keeping track of my miles, choosing hikes that are only 4 miles or more, how fast I complete those miles and what my elevation gain is. I am a "eye on the prize" type of person, racing my way through trail to achieve the best times. That being said, I really do appreciate hiking with my mom. She hikes at a much slower pace than I do and takes many more breaks. Hiking with her means I readjust my technique and really get to appreciate my surroundings. Even if it is a hike I regularly do, it is nice to just slow down and be in awe. She is also a real trooper in that she is willing to try new hikes that are out of her comfort zone.

It's also nice to be able to spend that quality time with my mom. We see each other every day, but we don't often get to have longer, in-depth talks. When we are out on that trail, we are really free from most interruptions. It's nice to be able to share something so rewarding. Our relationship has really benefitted from this as well. When we are out in nature, there is no "nitpicking" or petty comments, we are just out there enjoying nature. I am grateful for the relationship that I have with my mom now, knowing that it is only growing and improving with each day.

However, I do still struggle. Since losing my brother, I have found my self more bitter and angry that usual. And this time, I'm not just angry at the injustices of the world, but at myself, my mom and partner. I find us pretty heavily responsible for what happened (I know that people offer words of encouragement stating otherwise, but I feel what I feel). It has been hard not to lash out at her and I have found myself believing that she wasn't there for us growing up; that it was just me and MJC toughing out the worst of our childhood. It took speaking with one of my friends who is a mom to realize that those feelings are just me finding reasons to be upset. MJC and I were true "latch key" kids, but my mom did actively participate in our lives. She went on every school field trip, at every performance and made each birthday memorable. She made sure that we did well in school and had everything that we needed. She knew all of our friends and usually knew where we were, she just trusted us with the freedom that most kids don't have, and trusted my brother completely with my care. While that may not have been ideal with a teenage boy, I can't imagine a more fixed and stable role model that him. After much reflection, it seems weird that I would ever think that my mom wasn't a great mom. She has her flaws, i.e. she's crazy, but then again so am I.


Trail #1: Peavine
Distance: Again, we only went a little over 2 miles in and 2 miles about, but the trail is quite extensive and connects through to HWY 89 and to the Iron King trail.
Elevation Gain: This trail has some gentle slopes but nothing of major concern.
Terrain: This portion of the trail is better maintained than the Iron King, as it does get more use. It is not pave but is pretty nicely grated.
Pet Friendly: A big yes. If you have a dog that isn't tremendously friendly, this may be a tough trail. The local Human Society uses this trail to walk their shelter pets so there is quite a bit of puppy traffic. Again, all pet must remain on a leash.
Facilities: This trail head has a bathroom and water fountain, as well as picnic benches. There is a $3 fee at the parking lot, so keep that in mind. The fee machine does take both cash and card. There are benches throughout this trail so plenty of opportunities to stop and rest.
Description: This trail starts near a Reparian Refuge, which is not also a part of the trail system. It continues on along the edge of Watson Lake, offering some pretty spectacular views. As the trail progresses and heads into the dells, you have many opportunities to wander off on that many trail offshoots. These are definitely worth exploring if you have the time and energy.

Trail #2: The Summit Trail
Distance: To the top and back down is about 4.4 miles.
Elevation Gain: I believe is a little over 940 feet in a short 2.1 miles, so beware, this is a definite a strenuous hike.
Terrain: This is the epitome of rugged terrain. There are lots of rock and roots throughout the trail that you must navigate around. The Town of Prescott Valley alongside volunteers, keep the trail pretty under control, but the condition of the trail varies. I recommend boots to protect your feet, but of course many people utilize their sneakers.
Facilities: There are no facilities at the trail head, with the exception of a port-a-john, so I recommend going to the bathroom before you head out. There is no fee to use this trail.
Description: This trail is the best Prescott Valley has to offer. Plenty of resting sports to stop and enjoy the views. This is likely a great spot for birding.

In short, a slow but easy start of to my hiking goals and I'm glad that this is something that I can also share with my mom. I look forward to our continued journey.

MC


Comments

  1. This is an honest post. Way to go for feeling your feels and then checking them against facts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Safety First!

2018 #goals

Book Review