Hike Fail-Watson Lake Trail

    I never really thought it was possible to have a bad hike...until a few days ago. I decided to take a hike after I got out of work. It was a hike that I was fairly familiar with, so I didn't really feel the need to look too much into it before heading out. My first mistake was opting to go the opposite way that I usually go. I thought that changing it up might be good. It was a hot, humid day, and I was already starting off in not a great head space ( I don't consider this depression as it is not often something I endure). But hiking is usually the best cure for that. After the first mile, all thoughts of the technical aspect of the trail are gone and I start to focus on the five senses, and I just find that I have a great appreciation for everything. Hiking is truly a meditative experience.
     However, on this day, I just couldn't reach my meditative space. The section of the trail that I chose first, paralleled the busy road, so all I heard was the rush of cars. The trail was pretty busy that day, so there was a lot of hiker and biker traffic. Which ordinarily would have been pleasant as I am not opposed to sharing the trail, but again, my mental head space was just not in it. I spent all 4.19 miles of the hike, focused on what was wrong with everything, rather than solutions to my problems.
    On top of that, I realized too late, that the trail was not actually going to loop as a result of some intentional flooding from the city. They were trying to bring up water levels (most lake in AZ are man-made). So as I hiked through some intense mud and tried to find a work around, I realized that my attempts were futile. I then saw the signs indicating that such flooding was taking place. I had just neglected the signs when I initially walked by. I felt so frustrated, mostly by my own lack of attentiveness. I then had to retrace my steps and return the way that I came.
    The entire way back, I just felt myself fuming about everything and nothing. My mental space was not any better for the effort. I don't regretting getting out, but I do wish that I had done things differently. My drives home are usually endorphin filled happiness, but this day was different. I just wanted to get home, get cleaned up and wallow afterwards. I guess not all hikes can be perfect.
    It is now two days later and I haven't really come out of my mental funk. I do have another hike planned and hopefully this one will be a better experience.


Peace Out

Comments

  1. I hiked Willow Lake over spring break and it, too, was flooded out. I was almost to the end when I realized that I couldn't get back and that my options were to backtrack five miles or crawl through a fence and go the long way around to get back to the parking lot. I chose the latter and ended up laughing about it. But as my mother pointed out, it wouldn't have been funny had I had to hike back the way I'd come. I really need to check trail conditions before I go, but like you, I'm often just trying to get out and into a different head space, so things like trail conditions don't strike me as important.

    I hope that your next hike turns out better!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Safety First!

2018 #goals

Book Review